Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Unboxing: August Tiffin Trove (& Meal Plan)

Several months ago, I wrote a review of Tiffin Trove, a subscription box service that brings 2 or 3 Indian cuisine recipes to your door, along with the seasonings necessary to make them and a couple of pretty Indian trinkets, small bags and other goodies.

I liked them so much that I subscribed and have been receiving a 2-recipe box ever since.  The one I receive comes with one meat based dish, and one that is meatless, and most of them are easy to put together, and tasty enough to repeat - I've added a few spices to my regular seasoning selections after being able to experience them in small quantities, and I now have a nice collection of Indian recipes that I know work.

This week, I'll be incorporating one of  the recipes from my most recent subscription offering, and I thought it was long overdue to show off what it is I got, so here's a fast unboxing before I get to my menu for this week.

One thing that has changed in the past couple of months is  that the package is no longer coming in one of Tiffin Trove's boxes - as pretty as those boxes are, I approve of this change.

Everything is tucked neatly inside one of the embroidered bags that always come each month and sent inside a brightly colored mailing envelope - I feel like this creates less trash to dispose of (I never have sorted out how to reuse those boxes, although I did try), and less postage costs for her, and I have not experienced any damage from this method.

I have used these bags for all sorts of things - to tuck in a few jewelry items or to stow electronic chargers and USB cords when I'm traveling, as a pocket for my phone or a couple key cosmetics so they won't get lost in my purse, or to bag up a few of my favorite Tarot decks.  They have been coming in a variety of color and patterns and I look forward each month to seeing what it will be.

A couple times, there has been larger bags, big enough to act as lingerie bags in a suitcase.  At other times, I've received bangle bracelets or small decorated boxes big enough to hold a ring or pair of earrings, or to fill with a bit of solid perfume or lip balm.


This is what I got in the August box:

- recipe and necessary spices for Kheema Matar Lamb (this will wait until I find and purchase ground lamb)

- recipe and necessary spices for Chaat Roasted Cauliflower (this is going onto this week's menu)

- an extra packet of spices for both recipes.  This is always provided, in case something gets lost or, more often, so that you can try the recipe a second time without needing to purchase the spices.

- glittery green and rhinestone adorned metal box with lid, about 1 1/2" wide.  This one is actually the right size for to hold a tea light and I am thinking it might work as a small votive holder.

- 2 tea bags of Stash Chai Spice Black Tea

- 1 bright fuschia and gold drawstring bag, about 7" x 4".

I am well pleased with this month's selection and continue to be charmed by my monthly Tiffin Trove Subscription Box.

Lastly, here is a look at the Chaat Roasted Cauliflower recipe, so that you can see how they work.  This is not intimidating Indian food.  It is simple to prepare, tasty, and authentic Indian home cooking.  Each recipe indicates what is included and what else needs to be purchased.  I am occasionally challenged with harder to find items, such as the ground lamb or a butternut squash recipe from a couple months ago that needs to wait until butternut squash is in season so I can buy it locally, but even with needed delays, I have yet to come across a single recipe I simply didn't want to try at all.


My only change will be to switch out the vegetable oil for coconut oil, ghee or olive oil.  Coconut oil, especially, plays really well with curry seasonings. Ghee, for those not concerned with keeping it vegan, also works (as it should, since ghee is a traditional Indian fat).

My plans for this next week:

Wednesday: 
Chicken & Vegetable Skillet Meal

Thursday:
Cobb Salad with Hard Cooked Eggs & Bacon
Dessert Crepes Crepes

Friday:
Curried Ground Beef, Swiss Chard and Mushrooms
Chaat Roasted Cauliflower (see above)

Saturday:
Friend's Housewarming
Eating out.

Sunday:
Our First Anniversary!
Eating Out and going to Circus de Soleil

Monday:
Stuffed Cabbage Casserole

Tuesday:
BBQ Pork Ribs
Mixed Roasted Root Vegetables

Wednesday:
Leftovers


Shared with:
~ Cast Party Wednesday, Centerpiece Wednesday, Down Home Blog Hop, Fluster's Creative Muster, From Dream to Reality, Hit Me With Your Best Shot, Mommy Club Link UpProject Parade, Real Food Wednesday, Wednesday Roundup, Wellness Wednesday, What Are You Doing Wednesday, What's Cooking Wednesday, What's It Wednesday, Whatever Goes Wednesday, Whimsy Wednesday, Wicked Awesome Wednesday, Wonderful Wednesday, Wonderfully Creative Wednesdays, Work It Wednesday, Wow Us Wednesday, Your Whims WednesdayThe Yuck Stops Here
~ Creative Ways Link Party, Frugally Fabulous Thursday, Full Plate Thursday, Home & Garden Thursday, HomeAcre Hop, It's a Party, Pennywise Platter, Share Your Cup Thursday, Showcase Your Talent, Thrifty Thursday, Time Travel Thursday.
~ Anything Goes Linky, BFF Open House, City of Links, Crafting Along, DIY Projects Junkin' Joe, Fabulously Creative Friday, Feathered Nest Friday, Fight Back Friday, Foodie Friday, Foodie Friends Friday, Freedom Friday, Friday Favorites, Pin Junkie Party, Fridays Unfolded, Frugal Friday, Gluten-Free Friday, Handmade Hangout, Home Sweet Home, Kitchen Fun & Crafty Friday, Let's Get Real Friday, Old Fashioned Friday, Party Bunch, Pinworthy ProjectsRattlebridge Farm Foodie Friday, Real Food Friday, Shabbilicious Friday, Simple Meals Friday, Unprocessed Fridays, Weekend Re-Treat, Weekend Social.
~ Creative Collection, Dare to Share, Link Party Palooza, No-Rules Weekend, Saturday Sharefest, Say G'Day Saturday, Serenity Saturday, Show & Tell Saturday, Show Stopper Saturday, Simple Saturdays, Simply Natural Saturday, Sparkles of Inspiration, Super Saturday, Weekend Potluck, Weekend Recipe Link Up, Weekend Wind-Down.
~ Creative CollectionCreative Style, DIY InspiredDIY Sunday Showcase, Happiness is Homemade, Nifty Thrifty Sunday, Share Your Creativity, Silver Pennies Sunday, Submarine Sunday, Sunday Brunch, Sunday Funday, Think Pink Sunday.
                                                     


8 comments:

  1. Wow, so special! Everything looks very carefully hand picked with love and care, and very exotic! It would make a nice gift for yourself or anyone you love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lynda,
    What a fun idea to get a box and a surprise every month. Your meal plan looks awesome, Tuesday sounds really good to me. Thanks so much for sharing your awesome recipe with Full Plate Thursday and have a great weekend.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a fun idea! Thanks for coming and linking up at The Weekend Social. All posts get pinned in our pinterest board! Please be sure to come back next week starting Thursdays at 9PM EST on culinaryflavors.gr ! I hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks gorgeous, beautiful packaging! Visiting from Brunch at Mums Take Five. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so interesting and sounds like a lot of fun! Thanks for sharing it with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing this post at City of Creative Dream's City of Links last Friday! I appreciate you taking the time to party with me. Hope to see you again this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for linking up at our Gluten Free Fridays party! I have tweeted and pinned your entry to our Gluten Free Fridays board on Pinterest! :) I can't wait to see what you share this week!

    Cindy from vegetarianmamma.com

    ReplyDelete